Reine Duell Bethany - Author and Illustrator
My Blog

Unfortunately, Still Better to Be White

Today as I spoke to a friend who lives on my block, I learned something quite upsetting.
     I have long pondered my sense of safety here in Hempstead, New York. The village has a relatively high crime rate. Its 130-person police force is the third largest on Long Island; only the entire police forces in Nassau and Suffolk Counties outsize Hempstead's. Yet neither my family members nor I have ever suffered personal violence. We have suffered very little as far as robbery or vandalism, despite having resided here nearly 24 years.
     Our safety, I thought, was in spite of our being white in a majority-minority community. We took precautions, of course, but although my oldest son frequently had to come home from the LIRR at 1:00 a.m., and I have walked home from the Greyhound depot at midnight, we have never been molested. One sunny afternoon, a teen tried to life my son's wallet at the LIRR station, but he ran off when my son yelled.
     My friend is a dark-skinned woman whose ancestry is from India. Her native country is Trinidad. She leaves early each morning -- 5:30 a.m. -- to take a bus to her job as a teaching assistant. This afternoon she commented to me that once when she was going out the gate for the bus, and another time when she came home after dark, a black man (different guy each time) stumbling up the block saw her and cursed at her. She hurried away, believing the man was on drugs.
     She has been saving up to buy a little condo and says she does not want to live in Hempstead.
     Why has such a thing never happened to me? After all my research, I now believe that my safety is not in spite of my being white, but rather because I am white. Nonwhites are more vulnerable to crime from everyone, including each other, perhaps because the penalty for harm to a white person is still greater than to a nonwhite person.
     My essays about the relative safety of Hempstead Village, and the unfairness of its dishonorable reputation, now seem the uniformed discourse of an ignorant person; or at least, of a person not in a position to realistically evaluate what is going on around me.
     Were I to ask a nonwhite person to confirm my perceptions, would it shut the conversation down or open it up? This depends on the particular person I ask. But I need to know.

8 Comments to Unfortunately, Still Better to Be White:

Comments RSS
edduson writing account on Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:16 AM
I don't know why poeple still believe in racism. despite being literate and living in the era of electronic media there are some saddening truths
Reply to comment

Reine Duell Bethany on Monday, May 21, 2018 8:15 PM
Hello, edduson writing account, I agree -- education and multimedia communications should help to wipe out racism. I think they DO help. We just have to keep speaking out and exemplifying love for all -- and voting our beliefs.

scuba in cabo on Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:53 AM
This is really heart-breaking blog and yes undoubtedly so depressing as well.Why we people don't try to get out of these caste,creed and color barriers?What's the hurdle?
Reply to comment

sell furniture reno nv on Friday, June 29, 2018 6:08 AM
Oh God its so horrifying blog.I was planning to come to New York as my sister lives there.I thought after completing my sell furniture reno nv project I shall visit her but it all seems risky.
Reply to comment

beste replica horloges on Saturday, July 14, 2018 5:54 PM
Your blog is absolutely valuable.
Reply to comment

Repliki lux Rolex zegarków on Monday, July 16, 2018 6:08 AM
Maiden school is well known school from where people can learn about message and bodywork therapy.
Reply to comment

loemrntdherid1 on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 10:52 PM
your post is very useful, I am truly happy to post my note on this blog.
Reply to comment

Rufus on Saturday, July 28, 2018 6:44 PM
Good job aaron, if you need a roof done this is the man who should do it as he is really good at what he does and enjoys doing them.The worm bite is good in 5' -10' range.linkI took a chance with TicketNetwork seeing as their charge gave the impression to be less expensive.I was assured that I would not have the same experience that I had before.linkEnormous information in one blog post, I just love it.Vidmate install downloadVidmate installVidmate Apk Vidmate ApkVidmate ApkVidmate installVidmate downloader Vidmate installVidmate old versionVidmate applink
Reply to comment